First established as a temple in 1824 by the early Hakka and Cantonese migrants, Fuk Tak Chi was converted into a street museum in 1998. Ravaged by Singapore’s tropical climate with high humidity and abundant rainfall, the Fuk Tak Chi museum closed for a second restoration at the end of 2014. The restoration work was driven by two factors – continuity and authenticity. Roof repair works constituted the major part of the restoration work. Rotting purlins were replaced, and new technologies of roof waterproofing systems were adopted to ensure the longevity of the museum with minimal damage from weather elements. Damaged decorative elements that required replacement were handcrafted by artisans in China. In addition, rising damp treatment was carried out on the parti walls, and special plaster and mineral paint were used to achieve long-term durability.